Background & Acknowledgements
Representatives from the St. Louis grantmaking community have come together with the Gateway Center for Giving to create a Missouri Common Grant Application (CGA) and related materials.
Many major metropolitan cities use a Common Grant Application. This initiative has tremendous potential for our region. In the past few months, hastened by dwindling resources and increasing demand on people's time, the idea of creating a free CGA for grantmakers and nonprofits has gained some leverage.
The CGA was designed to help make the grantmaking process simpler and more efficient for nonprofits while at the same time encouraging dialogue between funders and nonprofit organizations.
The goals for the creation of this application were to:
- Design a standard, yet customizable, Common Grant Application (CGA) for Missouri grantmakers.
- Allow Missouri grantmakers and grantseekers to work from a common set of questions that reinforce solid nonprofit practices.
- Save grantseekers time and effort by using a streamlined format for many different applications.
Creating Missouri’s Common Grant Application (CGA) was a volunteer effort that required untold hours of work from many individuals extremely dedicated to enhancing Missouri’s nonprofit sector. From start to finish, the project took almost a year. The work was carried forward by a dedicated committee of grantmakers. Sincere thanks to the individuals involved for generously sharing their time and talent.
- Dianne Benjamin, ARCHS
- John Brightman, Brightman Family Fund
- Sarah Carta, Washington University
- Kathy Doellefeld-Clancy, JF Roblee Foundation
- Diane Drollinger, Greater St. Louis Community Foundation
- Kay Dusenbery, Daughters of Charity Foundation of St. Louis
- Kathy Gardner, United Way of Greater St. Louis
- Lindsey Greenberg, Gateway Center for Giving
- Claire Hundelt, Vatterott Foundation
- Wendy Jaffe, Trio Foundation of St. Louis
- Felice Joyce, Spirit of St. Louis Women’s Fund
- Melinda McAliney, Lutheran Foundation of St. Louis
- Mary McMurtrey, Gateway Center for Giving
- Cheryl Polk, United Way of Greater St. Louis
- Mary Swan, Ameren Missouri
- Michael Yarbrough, St. Louis Rams
- Ann Vazquez, Lutheran Foundation of St. Louis
Special thanks to the following:
- Daughters of Charity Foundation of St. Louis and Ameren Missouri for providing the Gateway Center for Giving funding to staff and oversee this project.
- The Greater St. Louis Community Foundation for providing the Gateway Center for Giving funding to create a Missouri Common Grant Application logo and help roll out the CGA.
- Lutheran Foundation of St. Louis for providing meeting space and coffee for the monthly committee meetings.
- United Way of Greater St. Louis for providing meeting space for various Common Grant Application related meetings.
- Daughters of Charity Foundation of St. Louis, Lutheran Foundation of St. Louis, United Way of Greater St. Louis, and Vatterott Foundation for testing the application with their grant applicants.
- Jill Young of Ohio Grantmakers Forum, Michelle Sturm of the Anschutz Family Foundation in Colorado, and the many other folks from the various Regional Associations for offering advice, materials, and support during this process.
We also extend thanks to the grantmakers and nonprofits that participated in the beta test of the CGA. Their experience and feedback led to the creation of the final version of the application itself and the accompanying User’s Guide. We salute their willingness to give of their time so generously to help ensure that the CGA would be an effective tool.
- Teresa Barnhart, Cardinal Ritter Senior Services
- Dawn Belizaire, Foster and Adoptive Care Coalition
- Cynthia Berry, St. Joachim & Ann Care Services
- Marcy Bursac, Shalom House
- Sister Marge Clifford, Sister Thea Bowman Catholic School
- Amy Collard, Ronald McDonald House St. Louis
- Rene Defiore, Good Shepherd Family and Children's Services
- Lynn DeLearie, De LaSalle Middle School
- Sophie Emery, Jefferson County Community Partnership
- Michelle Fielder, Touchpoint Autism
- Debbie Genung, Foster and Adoptive Care Coalition
- Josh Goldman, Beyond Housing
- Nikki Goldstein, Crown Center for Senior Living
- Linda Grayson, Spirit of St. Louis Women's Fund
- Erica Holliam, Beyond Housing
- Kent Hornberger, Ranken Technical College
- Kate Horrigan, Small Rain
- Jean Huelsing, Living Well Foundation
- Christine Ivcich, The Muny
- Pat Joshu, Immigrant and Refugee Women's Program
- Ann Julian, Our Little Haven
- Katherine Kornfield, Missouri Botanical Gardens
- Kevin Kriesel, Hoyleton Youth and Family Services
- Donna Luker, Lutheran Foundation of St. Louis
- Rob Massa, Sherwood Forest Camp
- Miriam Mayham, St. Joachim & Ann Care Services
- Karin McElwain-West, Aim High St. Louis
- Bill McRoberts, Near Southside Employment Coalition (NSEC)
- Jim Moore, Community Action Agency of St. Louis County, Inc.
- Mary Neal, Writing Works
- Michele Oesch, Saint Louis University
- Marissa Paine, The Haven of Grace
- Colleen Peters, St. Francis Xavier Outreach Ministry
- Regina Przetak, ALIVE
- Liz Reeves, St. Louis Public Library Foundation
- Heather Rich, Saint Louis University
- Phyllis Schneider, United Services
- Ana Schultz, Sisters of Divine Providence
- Muriel Smith, Delta Gamma Center for Children with Visual Impairments
- Ann Sutter, Spirit of St. Louis Women's Fund
- Barry Trautman, ARCHS
- Julie Turner, Lindenwood University
- Ohala Ward, Near Southside Employment Coalition (NSEC)
- David Warren, Metro Theater Company
- Gil Weyhaupt, Room at the Inn
The following resources and reports were used to help compile the information found in the User Guide and Common Grant Application: